At some point in time, you must have experienced pressure and headache due to sinus. You will be very well aware of how unpleasant it can turn with time. Luckily, there are a lot of natural remedies for sinus that can help you to relieve the pain, no matter if they are symptoms of common cold, sinusitis or allergies.
The hollow pockets surrounding the nose are known as sinuses. It produces mucus that drains into the nose. If due to any reasons swelling occurs in the nose, it will block the sinuses and result in pain, cough, nasal drip, congestion and sometimes facial and tooth pain. Sinusitis can turn acute, lasting for around four to five weeks after you have recovered from cold and chronic lasting for years. Before switching your medication to antibiotics, here are some of the natural remedies that can help you ease pain and congestion.
- Take steam: It is important to keep the sinuses moist. Hot water vapor helps to moisten the sinuses so that they don’t dry and then cause itchiness. Spray few drops of Menthol and Eucalyptus in the bathroom and let the bathroom steam up. A good steamy bath also loosens the stuck mucus and debris inside the nose, thereby cleaning the passage and giving enough room to breathe correctly.
- Flush the nasal passages: Saline spray has one of the best remedies of relieving from sinus pain. A regular wash by saline spray loosens the Mucus and flushes it out from the nasal passages. Saline sprays should be the first preference while searching for remedies. It acts as a defense against sinusitis.
- Drink as much water you can: Keeping your hydrated body accounts for many benefits. This includes maintaining the moisture content of the sinuses. Drink water all through the day and stay away from caffeine or alcohol. Alcohol content causes dehydration in the body and caffeine makes your body dry, both of them may harm the sinusitis. Although what amount of water should be takes varies from person to person, an easy way is to at least drink eight glasses of water per day. The question is how do you know that you are having the right amount of water? The best way is to notice the color of the urine, if it is clear you are properly hydrated, if not it’s time to have more water.
- Use a Humidifier: A humidifier helps in maintaining the moisture content of the room. But, before you use it, make sure it is properly cleaned especially with cases of mold allergies. An unclean humidifier can be the main reason of mold generation. Apart from it, you will have to notice the humidity level of the room. Humidity lying in the range of thirty to fifty percent is considered to be ideal. If fog starts depositing on the windows, the level of the humidity is too high.
- Stay away from allergens: Allergens can worsen the present condition of sinusitis. It tends to get worse as the evening approaches. Keep allergens away from the room by using good dust covers on the pillows and make sure you do not let your pet sleep in the same room you sleep.