“When you take things for granted, you risk them being taken away.”
Isn’t driving your own car at anytime and anywhere a joyous experience? It is a privilege that most of us take for granted. It’s often seen that drivers convicted of a DUI have a suspended or revoked driver’s licence. But, even good drivers can have a bad day and they can land in a mess. If you somehow messed up and had your driver’s licence suspended, you can consider getting Sr22 Insurance California.
An SR 22 filing is usually issued by the insurance company in order to serve as a guarantee to the Department of motor vehicles that as a natural user you have secured the bare minimum liability coverage requirement of the state law.
This coverage is added to the existing auto insurance policy that you’ve taken. Thereafter, your insurance company files the form with the Department of motor vehicles (DMV). Here, you need to understand that the everyday driver has to go through all this pain. Generally, only those drivers who have had their licenses revoked or suspended are required to submit a SR22 insurance California form. Some of the instances where this insurance is required include:
- Being involved in a driving accident
- Reckless driving or speeding
- Convictions for DUI
- Failure to pay parking tickets
- Failure to pay child support
Let’s discuss about SR22 insurance in California:
- The first and the foremost thing that you need to do is, get in touch with your car insurance company.
- In order to obtain an SR22 insurance filing, you need to purchase minimum liability coverage on all the vehicles that have been registered on your name. It doesn’t matter whether they are Operational or nonoperational. However, if you do not own a vehicle, then you need to purchase a “non-owners” liability coverage.
- Generally, the SR22 filing period is three years, but depending on the severity of your violation, it may last longer. Here, the key is to keep your insurance policy active by regularly making the payments of your policy on time during the SR22 filing period. Additionally, you should also try keeping your driving record clean. Because, if your insurance policy happens to lapse or you get into another accident during this time period, then your license will be against suspended and you have to start all over again.
- The Department of Motor Vehicles is the final authority which decides then can your driver’s license be reinstated. A basic fee of $10 is charged for reinstatement of your driver’s license. Before reinstatement, you have to resolve all the parking or fines on your driver’s license.
SR 22 insurance California isn’t as scary as it sounds to be, provided you already have an insurance policy and you are a good driver. All you need to do is remember that once you have this coverage, you have to drive carefully. Make it a one-time thing and go on a drive whenever and wherever wish to.