Essential oils are earning more and more endorsers recently, due to their numerous qualities ranging from the amazing fragrances to a host of medicinal applications. These are extracted from various plants and contain the essence of the plant from which they are derived, hence the name Essential oils. Their extraction is done by the use of steam and can be utilized in a variety of products like food, cosmetics, perfumes, etc.
As the use these oils was sidelined in the era of modern medicine, information about them is derived from traditional medicine textbooks. The recent resurgence of interest in Essential oils can be attributed to the restored affection towards aromatherapy in which these oils are used to alter moods and cognition.
Here is a list of 7 Essential oils which can be used to obtain natural divine aroma.
- Artemisia Pallens or Davana
- This aromatic herb is famous for its Essential oil called Davana. The perfumes derived from this herb have a fruity and sweet fragrance.
- It has a unique quality of producing a different smell depending on the person on whom it is applied. This property of Davana gives a personal touch to the fragrance.
- Frankincense comes in a variety of types, but Silver and Hokari are considered the best grades of this aromatic resin.
- Its smell reminds one of the Christian Churches. It is mixed with other oils, and the blend is used to bless newborn children and initiates.
- The Indian variety is known for its fresh smell. Different resins are known for their balsamic vinegar like sweet fragrance.
- Jasmine is known as the ‘King of Essential Oils. It derives its meaning from a Persian word ‘Yasmin’ which means “a gift from God.”
- It has a sensual and soothing aroma. It is comparatively more expensive than other oils due the difficulty faced in its extraction as around eight million blossoms are used up in producing a kilogram of essential oil.
- It has a sweet, floral, warm and alluring fragrance and is known for its high concentration.
- Lavender is a mixture of natural phytochemicals. Its smell can be described as being similar to that of moist Pine trees.
- Bulgaria is the biggest producer in the world, and their Lavender has a milder and raw feel to it. It is known as the relaxing and calming herb and is used as a natural stress buster. Its fragrance keeps one in a good mood and also helps in sleep disorders.
- It is widely being used in modern day perfumery. Two major constituents of its essential oil are patchoulol and norpatchoulenol.
- Rose oil
- It is extracted from the petals of the flower and is commonly used in perfume industry. It has a famous sweet smell which has been discussed at length in world literature.
- Sandalwood Essential Oil is derived from the wood of the tree and has been an integral part of various cultures around the world.
- It provides a long lasting fragrance and has a distinctive, smooth, creamy, and milky precious-wood scent.
These are the most potent essential oils concerning their aromatic brilliance. The sense of smell is quite relative, and many other oils are known to be more appetizing for different people. These may include Agarwood, Cedar, Eucalyptus, Hyssop, Rosemary amongst others. But anyone of these is as effective as the other.
Seven Essential oils to extract a divine aroma