We all experience distorted thoughts and beliefs at some point of our lives. These twisted thoughts could be catastrophizing, where you only imagine the worst or mind reading, assuming that you know what the other person is thinking. We would think that we know everything that is going to happen and even see things as all or nothing. It happens even to the best of us. But there is nothing wrong with that.
Researches and studies have proven that identification of our distorted thoughts allow us to have a better control over our thoughts. This in turn allows us to have more control over our feelings.
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy or CBT is an evidence based psychotherapeutic treatment that helps patients in understanding the feelings and thoughts that influence their behaviors.
What does it mean?
- It is usually used to treat depression, anxiety, addictions, phobias and other type of disorders.
- Generally, a short term therapy, here people get to learn how to identify the disturbing thought patterns that bears a negative influence on our behavior. And further how to change these thoughts, which has been known to be more effective than any other traditional form of treatment.
- Also, patients are assigned homework to repeatedly practice the skills that have been taught.
Types of Therapies There are various therapeutic approaches to CBT. Let’s take a look at a few of them:
Cognitive Therapy is about first identifying then changing the inaccurate thinking patterns, and behavioural and emotional responses to them.
Dialectical Behavior Therapy addresses your behavior and thinking patterns. Moreover, it incorporate strategies like mindfulness and emotional regulation.
In Multimodal Therapy, the focus is put on the interconnected modalities i.e cognition, affect, imagery, behavior, drug, sensation and interpersonal factors.
Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy centres on altering these irrational beliefs.
Each kind of CB therapy follows a unique approach but they all focus on the thought patterns that causes psychological distress.
How to maximize the benefits of CBT
Here are a few tips that will be helpful for an effe
- Have an agenda – A session should always start with an agenda which is discussed between the patient and therapist. It should consist of a check in about the week and mood, following up on homework and topics to be discussed.
- Stay focused – Make a collaborative discussion of what goals and at which level they should be addressed. Structure and flexibility is really essential to be on the right track. An ongoing session that started with you goal may get diverted in another direction. Collaborate on this point and discuss if the current diversion should be discussed or goal needs to be revisited.
- Get Homework – Actions tasks or homework needs to be discussed and allotted. Also, follow up on homework is essential for success.
- Feedback – At the end of every session, ask what went well and what could be done better to accelerate your progress and improve your future sessions.
An effective form of therapy, cognitive behavior therapy works well with number of psychology issues.